Embrace Transition (The Wilderness)
What They Don’t Tell You as An Author:
- Be prepared to fail at meeting your exceptions. Don’t get frustrated …failure is good because it teaches you what does not work. Now, you can adjust and make your product or cause better. I call it the failing fuel.
- When selling your books in person, it better to sale them at a higher price. At first I have reservations about doing this because I though readers would believe that I was overpricing them but actually, I am giving them a deal. If readers purchase online at Amazon, they have to pay shipping cost much is usually $2 – $5 more than what I would sale in person. For example, my book on Amazon is $14.50. I sale them in person at $15. This way, buyers are getting a deal by saving on shipping cost while you also earn an addition profit than you would with online sales.
- Garner a support system! Believe me, you will need it. It doesn’t have to be full blown promotion team, but at least one person who give you sound advice of your ideas or help you manage self-care.
- Submit your book into your library. Some library’s may have guidelines that may or may not accept certain books, however, give it a try! If you’re fortunate enough to get your book admitted into a library, this will be a great way to promote your book with potential buyers.
- Be aggressive about managing self-care! I am learning that there are waves of fatigue while working as an independent author, especially if you do not have a promotion team help you with marketing or setting up book signing engagements. It becomes overwhelming trying to juggle being an independent author while managing your 9 to 5 and other aspects of your life. So, start to schedule dates or moments in your day where make time to take care of yourself, even if is simply going shopping or resting at home. It will be hard for busy bodies like myself but take the time to rest and also take the time to work on your next marketing strategy.
Life Quotes about Transition:
“When transition wrecks your life, it is meant to shift your state of mind.”
– Ms. Broadway Therapy
“When life hits you in multiple directions, then something clicks and reminds you that you do not have time for fear.”
– Ms. Broadway Therapy
“We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.”
– Jimmy Dean
“You only are free when you realize you belong no place — you belong every place — no place at all.”
– Maya Angelou
“Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”
“The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures: he leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul.”